Seasonal Beer in the Greater Lehigh Valley Area
Have you ever noticed some beers simply taste better at certain times of the year? Seasonal beers are perfectly crafted to emulate winter, spring, summer, and fall, incorporating seasonal flavors. These beers are traditionally brewed for a particular season, holiday, or festive period and feature various alcohol-by-volume (ABV) contents.
At Banko Beverage Co, we offer many seasonal beer products throughout Allentown, Pennsylvania, and the Greater Lehigh Valley community. As a premier beer distributor, we are dedicated to working closely with suppliers to bring customers seasonal styles and flavors from well-known brands. Learn more about the popular seasonal beers we offer and the best times of year to drink them.
Spring is an exciting time in the Greater Lehigh Valley Area. Many patrons are ready to ditch their puffy, insulated coats after a long harsh winter and exchange them with lighter garments. Just like the clothes we wear, spring beers tend to be much lighter, boasting crisp and clean flavors. Spring beers to try include:
- Kolsch: Originating from Cologne, Germany, this spring-style beer features a bright and clear appearance with a straw-yellow hue and generally has an ABV of 4.4% to 5.2%.
- Cream ale: This smooth American beer is light-bodied and tends to be more hopped compared to a light lager, with an ABV of 4.2% to 5.6%.
- Helles bock: Usually dark in appearance, this German beer has a rich and toasty taste with a typical ABV ranging between 6.3% and 7.6%.
- Gose: Made from 50% malted wheat and 50% malted barley and coriander, gose beer contains lemon sourness, an herbal characteristic, and a strong saltiness. Goses typically have a moderate alcohol content of 4% to 5% ABV.
- Saisons: French for season, saisons are noted for their fruity or spicy characteristics. This refreshing beer is moderate in alcohol with an ABV between 4.4% and 8.4%.
- Berliner Weisse: Generally quite tart and sour, this spring beer features a taste reminiscent of lemons and young apples with an ABV of around 3%.
Summer days are often spent outdoors soaking up the sun’s rays. Designed for beach days and other outdoor adventures, summer beers are known for their refreshing taste. Their flavors can range but are never too overpowering, offering an ideal balance. Different summer beers to try include lagers, pilsners, pale ales, and the following:
- Summer Shandy: With a refreshing, natural lemonade flavor, this beer is ideal for any occasion in the summertime. It features an ABV of 4.2%.
- IPA: Known as an aggressive style beer, IPAs can have a strong citrus taste or intense bitterness. Their ABVs usually range between 5.5% and 7.5%.
- Witbier: This summer beer gets its fruity taste from its combination of coriander and unmalted wheat. The result is an acidic, tart, or sour taste with an ABV of 4.8% to 5.6%.
Beyond these selections, spring beers are ideal for the summer, as well.
The colorful foliage and seasonal activities like pumpkin carving make autumn a beautiful time of year. Fall brews have flavor profiles that mimic the seasonal tastes and smells of the season. Besides red and brown ales, other beers for fall include:
- Porters: Said to taste like milk chocolate with hints of fruitiness, porters are medium-light to medium-bodied beers. The ABV of a typical porter ranges from 4.8% to 6.5%.
- Stouts: Stouts feature a balance between roast malt sweetness and slight hop bitterness, often imparting notes of caramel, chocolate, coffee, or fried fruits. Stouts typically have an ABV of 7% to 8%.
- Amber ales: Showcasing a medium-high to high malt character, amber ales feature notes of citrus, fruits, and pine to balance the sweetness of the malt. The ABV of amber ales is around 5.8%.
- Schwarzbier: Dark brown, this beer has a light roasted flavor with very clean and nuanced hints of caramel and light wafts of coffee. Consumers can expect an ABV of around 5%.
- Pumpkin ales: Perhaps the quintessential seasonal beer, pumpkin ales are not overly sweet but contain flavors found in pumpkin pie. The ABV of pumpkin ales varies but is generally around 7%.
As the temperature begins to turn, refreshing, vibrant beers are replaced with fuller-bodied drinks that boast flavors of roasted goodness. The aromas of winter beers are crafted for comfort in the cold. In addition to stouts, porters, and bocks, other winter beers include:
- Doppelbocks: This style of beer features a rich, sweet, and malty taste with hints of chocolate and dark fruits. It features an ABV of around 7%.
- Barleywines: Rich and flavorful, this type of beer offers hints of nutty and toasty toffee. Barleywine beer is boozier than most beers with an ABV ranging between 8% and 12%.
- Scotch ales: A dominant presence of sweet malt flavor and aroma can best characterize scotch ales with an ABV of at least 6%.
Seasonal Beers at Banko Beverage Co
Local restaurants, bars, and retailers in the Greater Lehigh Valley area looking for a wide selection of great-tasting seasonal beers to offer customers should turn to the beer distribution experts at Banko Beverage Co. Our selection features various styles of beer ideal for different seasons throughout the year.
Our team can help you select the season’s most popular beer styles and answer questions about popular beer brands. For more information about our products or how to make Banko Beverage Co your trusted beer distributor, contact us today.